Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorJarrett
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2014

How would restricting all Non-Land tutors of CMC 3 or less effect the format?

I play 4 Entomb and used to play 4 Buried Alives. Those cards are just dirty even in my soulless black combo loving opinion.

E-call, land tax, and Stoneforge mystic would fall under this as well among others

In either case I'll be starting to play by those restrictions. I win to many games by having Jin-gitaxis on T2 and I am trying my best to make every game feel different than my old legacy decks.

Thoughts? Maybe a cough or two from the void that is this forum now lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorOhKapitan

My opinion - do we want to keep this a casual format or have it turn into heavy competition like everything else?

EDH (Commander) used to be the fun, casual thing we played. Now you have to sink $200 for staples just to play anyone else. Casual 60-card is practically non-existent.

IMHO - Don't ban tutors, but if we're trying to keep players in the format we need to consider the position that combo-decks like reanimator and Flash put the rest of us in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJarrett

I never suggested banning, only restricting. It helps it be more casual.

Trinket Mage also falls under the 3 CMC restriction in my suggestion. Which I think is fine, when every 5-color starts with 4 trinket Mage in it... Boring.

Only non land searches would be rstricted. I almost would go so far as restrict EVERY non land tutor, creatures included no matter the CMC
    •  
      CommentAuthorOhKapitan

I say restrict.
    •  
      CommentAuthorzombor
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2014

Blanket bans/restrictions are not a good idea. Cards should be banned and restricted on individual merit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJarrett
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2014

I can see that being a good call. how would a card be determined to be powerful enough to be restricted?

I can see stoneforge mystic being my first choice of being absurdly powerful along with Flash. Even though Flash is very dependant on other cards, when it hits it nearly always ends the game.

Though really the point of restricting anything is to make the game more unpredictable and fun right?
    How is that even gauged? Democracy is probably not the best solution either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorzombor
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2014

Back in the day, we had tons of tutors restricted, even bad ones like Rhystic Tutor. When I reworked the B&R list, I took off the cards I felt were too low power level.

If you are really getting off turn 2 jin-gitaxis every game, I feel that's probably poor deckbuilding choices on your opponent's side. Run 4x Relic and 4x Rest in Peace.

You are probably correct about Stoneforge, it's probably the best creature ever printed.

when it hits it nearly always ends the game.

I don't think this should be a primary consideration. Many cards do this that I wouldn't consider for action.

I pretty much agree with zombor on the topic of blanket restrictions. I'd be fine with restricting stoneforge. I don't really mind flash, honestly. you just need to tweak your build a bit if its a problem.

If you want to play casually, make your deck more casual. personally, I have a srsbsns 5-color and a more casual one that I play for fun so OhKapitan doesn't just come across the table and punch me in the face.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOhKapitan
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2014

I vote Contract needs to be re-restricted.

That cards is WAY to good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJarrett
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2014

That card is what defines this format!

Every player can play a playset and they cost 50 cents.

Is it the best draw spell ever made? Yes and it feels good to play it

If we could make an ante card more of a cost without losing them it would actually have a drawback
    I ALWAYS want my cards drawn on when I lose but my regular opposition is reluctant too for some reason
    Maybe every ante could be a dollar, then you better make sure you win if your chaining Contracts!

Should we restrict it? Probably BUT what is an ante format without the greatest ante card ever made

Also it's black and that's the real reason you don't like it :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorzombor
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2014

I vote Contract needs to be re-restricted.

No.

When it comes down to it, I think that we should just follow the B&R list on the site here. It's not perfect, but no system is.

What I would do is encourage people to build casual if they want to play casual, and competitive if they want to play competitive. Those of us with deeper collections can easily afford to have a second deck to play more casually. I already do.

I think perhaps Pauper or a modified version of Peasant would also be something to consider building/running events for. I think zombor mentioned in another thread that he already has a pauper 5 - maybe he could give us a quick run down on good staples and we could all start putting them together? Just a thought.