Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDipstik
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2013

When are you going to step in and revitalize this format, Damien? You can do it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrogger42
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2013 edited

I'll second that.
    I think every now and then, when I snag someone to play my 5-C Storm, they have a hell of a lot of fun. The potential's there, it's just such a hurdle to get all the fetches and stuff. Especially when EDH (ugh) only requires one of each. I know proxies are allowed, but when you get serious about the format it's literally the most expensive format you can run. That's going to inherently limit the # of people who can get into the format. I think one thing no one's discussed is making Pauper a more serious version of the format, and there could be a separate pauper B&R, maybe where you can allow Chaos Orb and Contract to keep the feel of the format (J Bird is common, right?). That would be the easiest way to get ppl started on a serious deck, and still allow them to foil out their Krosan Tuskers. Maybe we should focus more on that. Prob a good pauper deck is around $300, if you know what to look for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrogger42
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2013

Actually, if it were Pauper-Plus, commons and uncommons, then it'd allow all the jank fetches from Mirage and Krosan Verge to help fix you. And Skullclamp and Sol Ring, too. Dropping the rares leaves out the duals and power, which is impossible for most people to get. Just keep in all the Ante and Dexterity cards. My 2c.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDipstik
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2013

Or if you actually play for ante, you don't run your duals and fetches unless you want to lose them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrogger42
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2013

I would play pauper for actual Ante. Obv not my actual 5-C. I like playing the format because it's huge and still allows broken things to happen. If I had to play 5-C for ante, it'd be my Mono-R, which is competitive but just no fun to play, so... there. I think I was talking about acquiring them in the first place, anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorzombor
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2013 edited

I'm actually back into this stupid game again, and I'd love to play 5-color, but it's super hard to get anyone to play. Everyone at my store basically plays EDH (so I do as well).

I have no interest in ripping apart my edh decks (one of which *is* 5-colors) if I can't find anyone to play with.

I don't think I'd mind too much playing peasant 5-c either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorA-Town
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2013

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Epic5color/451962031536915
    Larry and I went to the last tournament and there were 12 people. They play at a place called GameTown which is in the old Hobbytown in New Berlin.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/GameTown-New-Berlin/111670595567232
    •  
      CommentAuthorDipstik
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2013

Thanks a lot... good to know someone's taken control again. I'll head over there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJD.5
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2013

Hello yeah A-Town! I'm still in utter shock you lost to Brian... I mean, for real I thought you would have won that right off that bat.

The crew at Game Town are really nice. They are still, for the most part, learning their way around 5-Color and very much play 'Standard 5-Color' since that's all they have. They are a lot of fun either way and can surprisingly pull random wins out of their asses... just like Brian did against Enchantress.

I also would like everyone to know that I was the only one to play unsleeved so, yeah, I had that going for me. Ha!

Dipstik, I thought you lived a million miles away? You should come on down and kick it if you can. Just ran into Kurt, Mike D., and I believe Luke (God, I haven't seen any of them in like 15 years) down there. Tons of fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJD.5
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2013

Jeremy, where are you living at nowadays? I can let you know when we have another 5-Color tourney in the area. Also, Lance and I are trying to get Bach to bite down on playing again but he too likes his EDH. He's turned mostly into a Limited player but I can see the twinkle in his eye when we pull out our 250 card piles of great.

And I will elaborate on that: These guys don't play by the rules designated on this site. It's 250, 20 each color, Their own B&R (which is pretty close, honestly), and the kicker is only 20 Restricted cards per deck. Ante is played but for shit like ice cream sandwiches or simple trades. Contract works as it is written (draw seven, pitch 8th to ante) and they play Jeweled Bird as it's former and ridiculous self (JB replaces your ENTIRE ante). It's my dream to crack Thada Adel into one of them and abuse their JB... just to prove a point. Ha!
    •  
      CommentAuthorzombor
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2013

I'm in Kenosha.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDipstik
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2013

Yeah, I'm on the other side of the state now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJD.5
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2013

Well, if you are ever able to make it for one of their tournaments, that'd be great. Last one I think first prize walked off with a Scrubland and like 6 Modern Masters Packs... something like that.

Either way, totally worth it for a day of nerdiness.