Not signed in (Sign In)
    A long time ago (mirrodin block) I got into magic, shortly after that, 5c took off at the place i would play at... eventually i got hooked and found it to be far more fun and interesting than any other format... after a long hiatus i'd like to jump back in with my trusty old 5c deck... it seems that 5c is essentially dead everywhere i go now and the 100 card EDH/Commander format has taken off for multiplayer and 1 on 1... i'd like to show up with my 300 card deck and maybe reintroduce the 5c format to the newer players... i think that its best done with a deck that doesnt lose every time... (the kids will joke that a deck that big isnt a deck and wont be cohesive enought to do anything with... i dont want them to be right) ...my deck was never tournament quality and im not looking for that per se. I've made some changes to reflect some new cards and since i'm assuming you guys are more active than me with the format, maybe you could offer advice, feedback, or questions on my updated deck list:
    // Lands
    4 Arid Mesa
    4 Badlands
    4 Bayou
    1 Bazaar of Baghdad
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    1 City of Brass
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Glimmervoid
    2 Krosan Verge
    4 Marsh Flats
    1 Maze of Ith
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Plateau
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Savannah
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Scrubland
    1 Strip Mine
    4 Taiga
    1 Thran Quarry
    1 Tolaria West
    4 Tropical Island
    4 Tundra
    4 Underground Sea
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Vesuva
    4 Volcanic Island
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills
    3 Flagstones of Trokair
    1 Serra's Sanctum
    1 Tolarian Academy
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

// Creatures
    1 Duplicant
    1 Platinum Angel
    1 Platinum Emperion
    1 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
    1 Vault Skirge
    1 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Academy Rector
    1 Anger
    1 Avatar of Woe
    1 Baneslayer Angel
    4 Birds of Paradise
    1 Bringer of the Blue Dawn
    1 Broodmate Dragon
    1 Charmbreaker Devils
    1 Doomed Necromancer
    1 Dragonmaster Outcast
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Falkenrath Noble
    1 Filth
    1 Forgotten Ancient
    3 Grazing Gladehart
    1 Guiltfeeder
    1 Jace's Archivist
    1 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Phantom Nishoba
    1 Primeval Titan
    1 Psychatog
    1 Rakavolver
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Spellbound Dragon
    1 Spiritmonger
    2 Sprouting Thrinax
    1 Symbiotic Wurm
    1 Tarmogoyf
    1 Terravore
    1 Viscera Dragger
    1 Wonder
    1 Worldgorger Dragon
    1 Akroma, Angel of Fury
    1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
    1 Olivia Voldaren
    1 Oona, Queen of the Fae
    1 Reya Dawnbringer
    1 Soltari Visionary
    1 Viashino Heretic

// Enchantments
    4 Animate Dead
    2 Compulsion
    1 Debtors' Knell
    1 Exploration
    1 Fastbond
    1 Future Sight
    3 Ghostly Prison
    1 Maelstrom Nexus
    4 Mirari's Wake
    1 Moonlit Wake
    4 Necromancy
    1 Prismatic Omen
    1 Recurring Nightmare
    2 Sterling Grove
    1 Sylvan Library

// Spells
    1 Blue Sun's Zenith
    3 Brainstorm
    1 Comet Storm
    1 Crop Rotation
    2 Diabolic Edict
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Entomb
    3 Fact or Fiction
    2 Krosan Grip
    4 Orim's Chant
    1 Pulse of the Fields
    3 Second Sunrise
    1 Starstorm
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Tainted Pact
    2 Terminate
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    1 All Suns' Dawn
    1 Ancestral Tribute
    1 Balance
    4 Buried Alive
    1 Contract from Below
    2 Damnation
    3 Deep Analysis
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Diabolic Intent
    1 Diabolic Tutor
    3 Exhume
    1 Fabricate
    1 Gamble
    1 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Hull Breach
    2 Living Death
    3 Obliterate
    4 Reanimate
    1 Recoup
    1 Red Sun's Zenith
    1 Regrowth
    1 Restock
    1 Roar of the Wurm
    1 Shard Convergence
    4 Stitch Together
    1 Sylvan Scrying
    1 Time Warp
    1 Tinker
    1 Tooth and Nail
    2 Upheaval
    2 Victimize
    4 Vindicate
    1 Wheel of Fortune
    2 Wrath of God
    1 Yawgmoth's Will

// Artifacts
    1 Birthing Pod
    2 Chrome Mox
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    2 Darksteel Ingot
    1 Isochron Scepter
    2 Lotus Blossom
    1 Memory Jar
    1 Panoptic Mirror
    1 Scroll Rack
    1 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Sol Ring
    4 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Zuran Orb
    1 Akroma's Memorial
    1 Grimoire of the Dead
    1 Legacy Weapon
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

// Planeswalkers
    1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    1 Jace Beleren
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Liliana Vess

I took out wishes b/c i never really ran a side board, no jeweled birds as its always been gentleman's ante...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDipstik
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2011

There's absolutely no reason not to be running animate dead/dance of the dead/necromancy.

If you're running that, run 4x worldgorger... just in case.

Woodfall Primus is a great creature to reanimate. Also run 4x Flash. Just in case.

I don't see enough ways to get creatures into the yard. One contract? No careful study? No Thirst for Knowledge? No Compulsive Research?
    dipstick, those are good suggestions... especially flash and woodfall primus... i think at the time i made this, contract was restricted but it looks like i can add 3 more... i never added dance of the dead b/c of the untap restrictions and im usually never short on ways of popping things from the graveyard but i may look at it again... as for getting creatures into the yard: bazaar of baghdad, jace's archivist, buried alive, contract, diabolic intent, entomb, fact or fiction, wheel of fortune, compulsion, lillana vess, grimoire of the dead, and memory jar... maybe they're not obvious but they work most of the time... perhaps i need to tune things in better... i feel like the deck has options instead of a stable mechanic and that could be my issue... i used to run 2x worldgorger w/ 2x laquatus... which was plenty... but i hated winning that way as it was no fun for all involved, so i usually ended up just holding it in my hand or graveyard and found other ways to win... usually just creatures after some ridiculous combo like obliterate->crypt-> second sunrise, wrath->crypt->living dead, memory jar-> upheavel-> reanimate... eventuallly i traded out laquatus for oona who is more effective if my combo gets interrupted and i only keep it in for games where the other person is planning to go infinite...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDipstik
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2011

Also, swap liliana of the veil for Vess. Cheaper and far more useful to your deck.
    Getting the initial post into some kind of color breakdown would really help, rather than a lazy cockatrice clipboard copy/paste.

Genesis seems like a likely inclusion if you have Buried Alive but no reanimate spell. For discard outlets, think putrid imp, cabal therapy, and maybe ZI. CfB is a nice discard outlet too.
    thanks for the advice, im pretty much tearing this deck apart, after playing a few edh decks over the past weeks i'm going to focus this deck more into opponent graveyard hate, drawing & discard, and damage from discard along w/ the usual reanimate effects
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrogger42
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2012

There's also the red Careful Study coming out in the new set, Faithless Looting I think. It's got flashback. I'd run CS and FL x4 each, as those cards are bomb in Reanimator.
    Hrm... you could also play Cascade -> Hypergenesis, which I feel is prolly more consistent. It's also a total d*ck deck, and pretty tough to stop from what I've heard. I was also thinking you might be able to try out some Polymorph/ Artifact Polymorph / Mass PM if you ran token generators, ie, Elspeths, new Sorin, Garruks. That'd take a complete rebuilding of the deck, but just a thought.
    So that's 1 out to serious GY hate. Show and Tell/ Eureka is nice, too, and legacy Reanimator often SBs in S and T in that situation.
    Just noticed Thran Quarry in the OP's list. ::cringe::