Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrogger42
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2011

Okay, so:
    Splashable Garruk is neat. Liliana is cool, too, but doesn't make the cut. And all those morph-like werewolves - that's a decklist waiting to be burned.
    (BTW, they're only their castable color, right...)
    (And, f-ing a, how does that work with the guy who flips everyone into a morph?!?!?!)
    Whatever. We're all here for one guy: Snapcaster Mage

WTF, recoup your Contract anyone? This guy = Eternal Witness, except splashable, and blue. And you don't have to fuss around with Witting back a Planeswalker or some garbage like that; just hit the Contract already. Makes the game that much easier when you can tell a bad player how to play.
    Should this guy be Restricted??
    •  
      CommentAuthorDipstik

"Didn't want to start a post about M12, b/c it's mostly jank, but did you see that new Ancestral? Visions of Beyond seems like it should be restricted, though I haven't played it yet." - Frogger42

How about you stop talking about restricting cards and instead go out and break them? You look REALLY stupid complaining about cards that everyone knows you haven't even played against. And yes, I mean "complaining." No one should talk about banning/restricting a card until it looks like the card creates a problem that the metagame cannot deal with. You, on the other hand, prefer to look at a spoiler without EVER playing with or against the card and spout "OMG BROKENZ!!!1" on a forum. Stop it. Your opinion means nothing because our benevolent dictator isn't going to change anything any time soon.

Now I sit back and wait for someone to gripe about how I wasn't nice enough in this post. I would note for the record that I purposefully stopped posting for a month, and the total posts during that time was "0." Guess I'm not driving anyone away, am I? Eat shit and die, FrogBS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorA-Town

<blockquote><cite>Posted By: Dipstik</cite>"Didn't want to start a post about M12, b/c it's mostly jank, but did you see that new Ancestral? Visions of Beyond seems like it should be restricted, though I haven't played it yet." - Frogger42

How about you stop talking about restricting cards and instead go out and break them? You look REALLY stupid complaining about cards that everyone knows you haven't even played against. And yes, I mean "complaining." No one should talk about banning/restricting a card until it looks like the card creates a problem that the metagame cannot deal with. You, on the other hand, prefer to look at a spoiler without EVER playing with or against the card and spout "OMG BROKENZ!!!1" on a forum. Stop it. Your opinion means nothing because our benevolent dictator isn't going to change anything any time soon.

Now I sit back and wait for someone to gripe about how I wasn't nice enough in this post. I would note for the record that I purposefully stopped posting for a month, and the total posts during that time was "0." Guess I'm not driving anyone away, am I? Eat shit and die, FrogBS.</blockquote>
    •  
      CommentAuthorDipstik

quoted for truth?
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrogger42

Not to make you seem retarded, Dip, but E Wit is restricted for that reason. And this guy's splashable/ in the best color. Erm... better argument other than getting angry I Dipsticked your mom last night...?
    BTW, there is a slight difference between slightly constructive/generally mildly helpful posts and head-in-the-sand vituperative. It's in the dictionary; look it up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDipstik
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2011 edited

Don't worry... you didn't.

And by the way... if you're going to use big words to impress people, you should probably be sure you're using them properly. Vituperative is an adjective.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrogger42

I'll concede improper English usage of the word if you concede your insights are as useful as tits on a pine tree.
    Honestly, like your mom says, if you have nothing useful to say, then just STFU already and let me watch my soaps.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDipstik

Useful like suggestions that currently untested (and unprinted) cards be restricted? Go watch your soaps! I'm supposed to be writing a brief anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChimaera
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2011 edited

Tiago is insanely powerful. However its only broken with 1 spell, which is obvious. If you have to ban\restrict X cards because of that spell maybe you should ban that spell instead...

I don't think anyone is going to flip tables over rebuying a lightning bolt or Evasive Action, Recall is a kicker but ya...just contract.
    •  
      CommentAuthorzombor
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2011

It's not quite the same as eternal witness. E wit doesn't return it back to your hand until end of turn. This guy is good, for sure. Time will tell if it's broken, especially with the limited play testing of this format. He seems *really* good with time walk, but just about any card is good with time walk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrogger42
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2011

True enough, Zombor. The difference I see with Time Walk is this guy burns your only copy of it, making you fairly sad. Unless you have a few beaters/ Planeswalkers on table; then your opponent should be the fairly sad one.
    But, yeah, playtesting will be the factor here. I don't think burning a copy of Contract from your grave will be that big an issue, considering you're getting 7 more cards than you deserve (and a very Clampable creature, too). But, who knows, maybe testing the guy will show that exiling the card is a much bigger detriment than E Wit never had to deal with. You won't chain off of a single Contract with multiple Tiagos, but I'm guessing with (most likely) a second full hand, you should hopefully find a way to pull off a win.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJD.5

What!? Not a single person mentioned 'The Army of the Damned'!?!?!1!!1?!

Is it just me or is this set a really shitty version of Onslaught except with completely impractical tribal effects?

Anyway...

Yeah, Snapcaster Mage is good. Restrict worthy? Nah. Creatures that absolutely warp the game are B&R worthy, like Sundering Titan. This guy just says, 'Hey, go get 7 more gooders... on me.' Which is fine with me. I don't think he is broken with ONLY one spell, either. He brings back from the dead the best spell you've already played. That seems just fine, even if it means I 'merely' Vamp. Tutor again at the end of your turn.

You're right, other than this card this set blows my balls. Scary monsters... AWESOME! *Rolls Eyes* (And I love Horror movies... so stupid...)

I will say that I am excited for Innistrad to come out so I can use my Standard fetches to build a 5-Color to finally cut kids up at Shlobby Town. Should be good. I've been warning them about the crack of my whip.
    •  
      CommentAuthorzombor

> He brings back from the dead the best spell you've already played.

So does regrowth. It's restricted. This is regrowth that RFG's the card and gives you a bear. Recoup is restricted because it itself has flashback. This guy's in the middle, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJD.5
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2011

Posted By: zombor> He brings back from the dead the best spell you've already played.

So does regrowth. It's restricted. This is regrowth that RFG's the card and gives you a bear. Recoup is restricted because it itself has flashback. This guy's in the middle, I think.

Although Regrowth-esque, I think you are much more accurate when you compare him to Recoup with legs since the spell only gains Flashback until end of turn and in the form of it's own mana cost (identical to Recoup).

Totally splitting hairs here. Either way, I think we are all on the same page that this guy is good. The End.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrogbs
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2011

lol Dipstik, never change. tbh I'm not really gonna complain about how much of a douche you look but I think it's kind of stupid to suggest that we have to playtest all cards before testing them considering there are like maybe a dozen guys who still play this format. keep on truckin, brother. all I know is that in the past, cards that comboed well w/ Contract usually got an extra look for restriction, so I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest. Visions of Beyond this is not (not that you'd know the difference)

here are the cards that looked interesting to me:

Mentor of the Meek 2W
    Whenever another creature with power 2 or less enters the battlefield under your control, you may pay 1. If you do, draw a card. 2/2
    - Guessing there's a deck out there that'll combo well with this guy, his power level seems pretty high. There seem to be a lot of odd combos with him too

Stony Silence is another Null Rod, can see that being useful

Forbidden Alchemy is an Impulse for 2U that flashes back for 6B, can see control using that as they usually load up on EOT-type spells like this.

Diregraf Ghoul - a 2/2 for one black mana that just enters the battlefield tapped. Seems better than most of the black cards aggro runs.

Desperate Ravings - 1R, instant draw 2, discard one at random, Flashback 2U, seems like it could go into certain types of decks, as cards put into the graveyard are not really out of the game at all anymore

Past in Flames - 3R sorcery, "Each instant or sorcery card in your graveyard gains flashback until end of turn. The flashback cost is equal to its mana cost. Flashback 4U". This is nearly a Will with flashback. Doesn't seem too hard to abuse.

Geist of Saint Traft - 1UW, 2/2 hexproof, "Hexproof, Whenever Geist of Saint Traft attacks, put a 4/4 white Angel creature token with flying onto the battlefield tapped and attacking. Exile that token at the end of combat. - this is pretty powerful
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrogbs

<blockquote>Now I sit back and wait for someone to gripe about how I wasn't nice enough in this post. I would note for the record that I purposefully stopped posting for a month, and the total posts during that time was "0." Guess I'm not driving anyone away, am I? Eat shit and die, FrogBS.</blockquote>

this is why you fail at logic
    •  
      CommentAuthorDipstik

I don't think you know what "logic" means, BS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrogbs
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2011

naaa man, you're totally right, the only reason people post here is for your amazing insights like "that card sucks and you are stupid, and by the way fuck anyone who ever talked shit about me"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDipstik

Is that what you see? You should work on your reading comprehension skills. Man... if you're that confused, I can see why you're so upset at me. Well, not my problem, I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorA-Town

I agree with Dipstik on everything stated here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrogbs

Unless you're trying to say "I stopped posting for a while and nobody came back, therefore I could not have driven anyone away" which is astonishingly even a bigger logic fail than what I suggested. I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt!
    •  
      CommentAuthorzombor
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2011

How about you all shut the hell up? :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorJD.5

NO!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDipstik

Meh... I dropped out of this conversation days ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrogger42
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011

Hrm. Any testing on Snapcaster? Cause I <3 Eternal Witness 2-5. He's pretty beastly, to say the very least.
    And I take it the Super-Recoup shouldn't be restricted or anything? I actually managed to put together a storm combo deck that runs 4x Past in Flames (took me a while to remember the name of the card) and, in that deck, it's the nuts (obv). It sorta verges on Will, with the obvious thing being it doesn't grab back Black Lotus. I definitely don't think it's ban-worthy, but in some cases it's even better cause of the Flashback (allows you to use LED mana to flash it out).
    If Recoup's getting restricted, I'd say PiF def should. It's a fair deal better, even for the extra 2 mana, IMO.
    Whoah Whoah. That's pretty high praise there.

Recoup says 1BR, draw 7. Past in Flames does not.

Like to see your Storm list because Empty the Warrens is probably better in that slot. That said, LED is on the "balls to the wall" side of Storm Combo and Past may have a place.

Haven't tested Snapcaster at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDipstik
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2011

Yeah don't listen to a word Frogger says.

"Didn't want to start a post about M12, b/c it's mostly jank, but did you see that new Ancestral? Visions of Beyond seems like it should be restricted, though I haven't played it yet." - Frogger42
    •  
      CommentAuthorIllusions-Go
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011 edited

WTH is Visions of Beyond?

::Checks::

Oh. Ouch. Swing and a miss.

List of Potentials:
    Snapcaster Mage
    Forbidden Alchemy
    Memory's Journey (A Krosan Rec variant)
    Kessig, Wolf Run (For Mid-Range if it exists)
    Past in Flames (Tough to gain mana with this unless the grave has multiple rituals)
    Posted By: frogbs
    Forbidden Alchemy is an Impulse for 2U that flashes back for 6B, can see control using that as they usually load up on EOT-type spells like this.

Dude, the effect is WAY better than Impulse, but I'm still not convinced it's a better card because at 1U Impulse can smooth out a land light draw.

Posted By: frogbs
    Geist of Saint Traft - 1UW, 2/2 hexproof, "Hexproof, Whenever Geist of Saint Traft attacks, put a 4/4 white Angel creature token with flying onto the battlefield tapped and attacking. Exile that token at the end of combat. - this is pretty powerful

Agree, very powerful but there isn't really a deck for him right now. To get the Angel, he has to beat which means he's only really good when you clear the way for him. Maybe Bushido or something. Who knows.
    Purify the Grave (White Coffin Purge) is a playable card from the new set.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDipstik
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2011

Was coffin purge?
    Posted By: A-TownI agree with Dipstik on everything stated here.

Barn or Doppleganger?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDipstik
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2011

Fransen is Damien's barn, not mine. I'm just right all the time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorIllusions-Go
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2011 edited

LOL.