Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDipstik
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2011 edited

OK, now that we've actually had a chance to play with the cards, here's a SERIOUS evaluation of some of the cards. Best cards in no particular order:

Mental Misstep: This card counters a little over 1/3 of my aggro deck, including Contract. It will also be PLAYED in my aggro deck because it's a blue spell, and it counters a good portion of every other deck in the format. Also, it counters Contract. It also counters other Mental Missteps, which I think will be relevant because I think every deck will be running 4 of them.

Phyrexian Metamorph: Tarmogoyf would be broken if it cost 3 and 2 life... so I'll play Tarmogoyf #4-8. It copies your best creature if you're winning or their best creature if you're losing. Once again, the fact that this is a colorless blue spell is huge for aggro decks. I doubt this will see much play outside of aggro, but I'll leave that evaluation for someone who plays non-aggro decks.

Tezzeret's Gambit: Getting sick of "It's a colorless blue spell for aggro" yet? This is obviously the most relevant feature of New Phyrexia to 5-color. I don't think this one is QUITE tournament-worthy in my aggro deck, mostly because I don't have any way to abuse the proliferate and push it over the top, but it will definitely make it into my ante deck. Also, there are still some poor-ass motherfuckers out there who bring cheaty decks to tournaments, and this will make every one of them.

Praetor's Grasp: For control/combo decks that already run every tutor available, a 3 mana card that removes time vault (or any other critical restricted card) from your opponent's deck and makes it available for your use at your leisure seems good. Edit: Upon further review, I think this is the card most likely to be broken wide open in this format. Not playable in every deck, but the most likely candidate for restriction down the road. The fact that you don't even have to cast the card right away and it can sit in a basically untouchable zone until you're ready to use it means this card is pretty much the nuts. Forget about the obvious play of a 4 mana Contract and imagine being able to hide a Balance off to the side until you're ready to use it, and it can't be duressed away in the meantime. Since most of the best targets are played in every deck, this is pretty much better than demonic tutor in my opinion. If you can't get BB reliably, you need to proxy a better manabase, noob.

Beast Within: This probably WON'T make my tournament deck, but it's instant speed versatile removal that can be used to make an instant speed blocker, a surprise EOT creature to attack with, or to dodge removal.

Batterskull: OK I'll spell it out for people who haven't paid attention to the last 4 sets... 1W: Cast Stoneforge Mystic on turn 2 (or even turn 1). Next turn, 1W and tap the Mystic: Put a 4/4 vigilance Lifelink creature into play. Can we get a show of hands from people still playing on who's already running stoneforge mystic? I am.

Spellskite: Stops Key/Vault. (edit: and Tezz/Vault, right? Tezz doesn't say "with a single target" anywhere on the first ability...) Relevant blocker. Probably a million other interactions that will be revealed over time.

Porcelain Legionnaire/Vault Skirge/Spined Thoptor: Not tournament worthy in my opinion simply because I always avoid getting two-for-one'd by Fire/Ice when possible. If Fire/Ice didn't exist, I would probably play the Legionnaire and maybe even the Vault Skirge in my aggro deck. That said, once again these are all colorless "colored" spells that will be popular in cheaty decks forever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrogger42
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2011

Nice list. I'm still not sold on Misstep for control in 5-C, even though it hits Contract, because it just seems like there are big things it doesn't hit (Hypergenesis, opposing Tezz/Vault). It looks really hot against aggro, but I don't want to be stuck TD'ing that against another control player or combo when I could just draw Evasive Action or Miscalculation (which I don't have room for). But Cheaty, yeah, will always run it.
    Praetor's Grasp seems like a beast for Control v Control, but again, maybe less useful against a Cheaty/combo matchup. I dunno, I'll take your word for it, though BB hurts a little.
    Tezz's Gambit... I feel like the hybrid mana dudes are more useful than a Council of the Soratami for aggro. Right on with the Clone, though. And Batterskull's gonna be a b----.
    It just kinda stinks that the only good cards for the format are basically hybrid. Nice mechanic, but I was hoping for something more to add to my non-Cheaty.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChimaera
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2011

I don't see why I keep seeing Vault Skirge pop up as a notable card from NPH. Its only notable if you are playing a temptered steel or affinity strategy, otherwise its a garbage Suntail Hawk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDipstik
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2011

Do you mean you keep hearing about it in places other than here? Because that's exactly how it's going to be used in other formats... with tempered steel or affinity/metalcraft. It's also nuts in limited. I think I'm the only person to have mentioned it here, and it was only as a side-note on all of the playable phyrexian robots.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChimaera
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2011

Ah that's fair enough. People have played it against me in sealed and 2hg so far and I like seeing that card because it gets outclassed so fast. Few friends have used it in triple NHP draft but I hope that was because they had a few Rage Extractors? The Phy ping card.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJD.5
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2011

Why doesn't Beast Within get more love? I mean, it's a monocolored Vindicate with a minor drawback (in the scheme of things, really)? That card is definitely my favorite in the set and it sucks to see it narrowed down to "ooh, ooh, I cans turn my 1/1 into a big scary 3/3 by burning two cards! LOLzor!!1! Hill Giant for lifes!!1!"

It can break the following: Everything (except untargetable shit, obvoiusly).

I do agree with Chapman though that it won't, or at least shouldn't, see play in an Aggro list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJD.5
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2011

Also Metamorph doesn't just have to hit creatures... it can also hit your opponent's Vault or other ridiculousness.

I think the Metamorph is just fine for Control decks. Paying 3 and 2 life for the best creature on board seems just fine. It's certainly cheap enough to hold back counterspell mana or other disruption. I've recently used it to kill off an opponent's Thrun that he was so smug about getting into play.